Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A bit about Ben


Ben wrote this about 2 weeks ago.......
All was great until in September 2007 I started to feel sick. I was always on the toilet, up to 20 times in one day and for numerous days in a row. I lost a lot of weight and I didn’t have the weight to lose. All my energy disappeared and I felt pretty sad. I just laid on the lounge with my best mate Finnegan, my dog.

My parents were concerned and had taken me for many doctor appointments and tests but the doctor just couldn’t find any answers. It was a very distressing time for me and my family, I was very miserable.

Starting at high school was tough; I always had to ask to leave the class room to go to the bathroom, I had no energy to participate in anything. Attendance in year 7 was low, I think I only did 2 full weeks all year, and they were not consecutive.

The best day of the year came in late May 2008 and it was meeting Dr. Avi Lemberg, he knew what was wrong straight away and made sure things progressed in the right direction immediately. To be told what is wrong with you and to be able to have treatment to help live with it is a relief. I had a colonoscopy the next day to confirm everything, followed by my last supper, pizzas as the next day I was to start on Osmolite - a formula diet - for 8 weeks. This part I couldn’t cope with, it was CRAP!

I was just starting to feel a little better getting some energy back towards the end of my time on the Osmolite, when my Crohn’s flared up. I had to start taking steroids along with other medication to try and get it under control. To remember all my medication I help mum fill up my weekly pill box so I am aware of all that goes on in my treatment.

We went to the snow for the first time and I was only able to manage to ski every second day as my body couldn’t handle any more, (Shh… I had hot chips for the first time in 10 weeks that was good!!). The last part of the school year picked up as I had energy returning so I could participate in PE and sport all things I had longed to do. I even started to make mates.

My teachers know of my condition but I haven’t told my mates as I don’t think they would understand. This is partly why I decided to do this walk. To bring attention to the disease and let people know there are plenty of others with IBD illnesses. I had told my mum that we should fundraise for Crohn’s in 2009 and we wanted it to be a challenge, so why not go for a walk….