Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Can you believe we leave in 15hrs!

By Jo,

First let me start by saying Ben is better, it is just bit of a cold thank god it wasn't a flare. We have to Friday afternoon to decide whether he participates in the first section. As Jamie is close by he can stay with him during the day Friday if needed, lets wait and see.

Well the packs are packed, took a couple of times but I think the weight is evenly distributed between the 3 of us. If we didn't need to eat all would be fine.

So lets reiterate what is happening:
  • We are walking the Great North Walk not the F3, yes bush walk not road.
  • We are sleeping out in tents in the bush.
  • No running water or toilets! yes no toilets.
  • No showers, baths just a wet one, and powder for our oily hair.
  • We have to carry everything we may need, toilet paper, food, bedding, water etc... the list goes on......
  • If it rains we get wet.
  • We will be attacked by leaches, this is for sure.
  • I wont have to clean 16-20 bathrooms a day!!! that's the best bit.
  • No Easter bunny!

So that about sums it up, we are excited, nervous, and hope Ben is well enough to join from the start. But we said from the beginning he will do what his body allows.

For me I will miss Matt, Katelyn & Finnegan, it will be hard for all of us we have never had this type of mix. What I mean is I have been away with Kate and Matt with the boys but never this way around. I look forward to spending time with Brett, he and his father get on so well mainly due to soccer I think and I don't give a rats arse about soccer. I watch but I don't live for it. So I do look forward to having time with him and Ben with out computers, TV and Ipods. Hope they survive their time with me.

I hope the snakes have gone to bed for the winter as I shiver just thinking about them. Leaches aren't my best friend either but I have salt and I know they can't kill me. As for the rest I love camping always have, I was lucky enough to have been brought up camping and have many fond memories of many camp trips. This though is my first HIKE!!!!

I also look forward to no work, computer, phones etc. Not that I don't enjoy reading your emails or chatting on the phone but it will be nice for some solitude. I will miss Young & the Restless, told Matt he will have to watch just to tell me what is happening.

So over your Easter break and for some school holidays think of us and our adventure. To all of you our supporters we wish you a wonderful Easter and please drive safe and enjoy. Eat the chocolate and don't worry about the waist line, it is better to be happy and enjoy life.

"If you want children to keep their feet on the ground,

put some responsibility on their shoulders."